[ragel-users] Question about nested state charts

Adrian Thurston thurs... at cs.queensu.ca
Thu Dec 21 05:11:30 UTC 2006

Hi Zed,

I think nesting is a really good idea. Though Ragel can't build your
machine exactly the way you've specified it. It's a limitation of the
Ragel language and not of the underlying machines. When the end of a
comma-separated list of machines is found Ragel tries to resolve all
epsilon transitions inside it. So the epsilon drawn to Aborting is
resolved when the inner join is complete, only the Aborting label
doesn't exist at that time. What you want is for it to be resolved on
the outer join but the language doesn't give you a way to say that.

But since you've only got one destination on the exit from the inner
join you can change it to this:

Connection = (

   start: ( open -> Accepting ),

   Accepting: (
     start: ( logged_in -> Processing ),
     Processing: ( receive -> Delivering | close -> final ),
     Delivering: ( delivered -> Processing ),
   ) -> Aborting,

   Aborting: ( finalized -> final )

) >begin %finish @!error;

If you need more than one exit then you'll have to subsume the inner
state chart.

About the duplication ... I've actually been meaning to add a feature
for importing machine definitions. Though I wanted to wait until I
finished rewriting the parsers before I start adding to them. I'm
currently migrating to Ragel/Kelbt. In the meantime duplication is all
there is ... which I'm aware is quite painful to many coders.

Cheers
  Adrian