Using Ragel for Hidden Markov Model generation

Adrian Thurston thurs... at cs.queensu.ca
Fri Nov 3 06:12:12 UTC 2006

Hi,

It might be possible to use Ragel as is. There is an experimental (and
undocumented) semantic condition feature which obeys the rules of NFA to
DFA conversion. A semantic condition is a block of code which is
associated with a transition. It must evaluate to true for the
transition to be taken. Conditions were introduced for the purpose of
parsing variable length fields. You could use them to do a roll of the
dice. Look in test/cond?.rl for examples of conditions.

If conditions don't cut it, then modifying Ragel might be an option.
Though I don't know enough about HMMs to say for sure if it could be
done. How are HMMs specified?

I can tell you that Ragel was designed for producing deterministic
parsers. Internally it has no epsilon transitions. Machines are made
deterministic on the fly. So it doesn't have many of the features that
comprehensive state machine libraries like Grail+ have.

Cheers,
  Adrian