[ragel-users] Capturing subpatterns

Adrian Thurston thurs... at cs.queensu.ca
Wed Jul 11 17:33:09 UTC 2007

Hello,

This is a feature I've spent some time thinking about. It would end up
being syntactic sugar for

( ( 'Mon' | 'Fri' | 'Sun' ) 'day'? ) >{ m=p; } %{ me=p; }

It seems too trivial to me to deserve it's own syntax. Also, there is
more than one way to do this. Sometimes you may be able to record the
end position on the last character (IE using @).

This may be obvious to Ragel users, but I just want state for the record
that PCRE is a different kind of tool from Ragel. PCRE has an
interpretor that can backtrack through regular expressions (not to be
confused with backtracking through input), whereas Ragel generates
deterministic state machines. They both support nondeterministic
expressions. The difference is that in PCRE nondeterminism can occur at
runtime, whereas in Ragel it is always eliminated at compile time.

Regards,
 Adrian