Problem with long alphabet type

Elmin matty.no... at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 17:49:31 UTC 2007

Thanks for the quick answer!  I just compiled the newest version of
the documentation and I didn't see anything about the long alphabet
type in the section about semantic conditions.  Also, when I try to
build a more complex machine, rlgen-cd crashes using the default code
style -- strangely, it works with the goto style, but then the output
is incorrect.

I'd really appreciate this feature, since it would make it a lot
easier to write scanners for Unicode-aware languages.  With the
current tools, I pretty much have two options:

1) Pretend Unicode is 16-bit, and risk offending those unfortunate
ancient greeks who want to use musical notation in their identifiers,
or

2) Write the machine to deal with encoded streams (e.g. UTF-8) and
hope that I never have to support multiple encodings.

It occurs to me that since Unicode doesn't (for now) take up the full
32-bit range, there might be an application for a kind of
"intermediate" alphabet type between short and long -- that way the
storage could still be long, and characters could be allocated in the
range 0x10FFFF..0x8FFFFFFF or something.  Does that sound like it
might work?