Is there a way to generate non-static variables?

Manoj Rajagopalan ma... at nanorex.com
Fri Mar 28 18:36:01 UTC 2008

Hi Adrian,

    In C/C++, the variables generated are static. While I can write data
for different machine instantiations in different functions, the
static-ness makes the data allocated persistent. Instead, if there were
an optional way of disabling this which could be used inside functions
allocation would be on the function's stack and the total data segment
size for the program would remain modest.

   I am in the process of writing a unit test suite where I have one
master Ragel file and am including parts of it for non-invasive testing
in my test-suite CPP files. I have to perform a write data for each line
that I am testing and then for more complicated machines that build on
lines tested in these simpler tests.

   These tests are part of a potentially enormous test suite for a heavy
application with many components. I suspect statically-allocated global
data requirements can become quite large though I haven't faced any
problems yet. Please correct me if I am wrong.

   If this idea is worthy of exploration then Ragel could provide a
'nostatic' option to the 'write data' statement which we developers
would use in some scope inside which we'd like the data to be
exclusively visible.

Thanks,
Manoj