Any suggestions on implementing SMTP protocol in Ragel?

Ross Thomas halfacan... at gmail.com
Sun May 11 18:57:46 UTC 2008

While hacking up a parser for SMTP (in an unprecedentedly small amount
of time, naturally :)) it occurred to me that given Ragel's ability to
mix regular expressions with state charts I could make the same
machine double-up as an SMTP protocol handler too. At least, I think I
could. Because a significant portion of my work involves the client/
server model this is an aspect of Ragel I'd very much like to explore
in more detail...

I've browsed around on the list and read Zed's post on state charts
but still don't have a totally clear idea on how this might be
implemented. Can anyone out there with more Ragel experience point me
in the right direction?