[ragel-users] JavaScript code generation for Ragel

Dominic Marks dom at goodforbusiness.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 07:24:26 UTC 2010

  On 11/10/2010 20:31, Adrian Thurston wrote:
> Ya as far as Ragel code generation goes you shouldn't need to p, pe,
> or data available in the write init context. If I remember right that
> was due to a combination of Ruby variable scoping/declaration rules
> and the typical usage pattern of Ragel+Ruby. The Ruby code generator
> really is a special case for a number of reasons. What we need to a
> Ragel and Ruby expert to sort it out. I'm not both of those things.

I'd take it on if I had the time.

> There is also some strange stuff in the java code generator too. Java
> doesn't have static array data. It makes functions that set the
> values. But large arrays overflow the max function size so you can't
> have large static arrays. To get around this the arrays are made using
> functions (like the compiler does), but they are broken down into
> smaller parts and concatenated. Ugh. I'm not sure if this would apply
> to javascript as well.

I wrote a small test program and creating arrays with 1 and 10 million
elements worked, although at 10 million the VM was stuttering
(run-pause-run-pause), probably due to the GC not coping too well. How
large is large? In the case of Node.js there is another data type called
Buffer which is a fixed size byte array (sort of). This doesn't have a
literal notation but it does support the array [] operator so it might
be able to substitute for static arrays in code. It has the benefit of
being allocated outside of the runtime and so it doesn't pressurise the
GC as much. The downside is that it would require special IO handling
code to setup the arrays and it isn't portable.

It occured to me while writing this that I actually need to make at
least two different code generators for JavaScript. JavaScript can be
used for client and server programming (which is why I got into doing
this work in the first place) and the kind of code you want to generate
in each case is totally different. In the client case you want to
optimise for page load time first, so the state machine needs to be
expressed in the minimum possible code, even if it's slower to execute.
When generating the same machine for the server case you (probably) want
the normal approach of trading code size for performance.

Should be an interesting challenge.

Dominic