[ragel-users] Debug

David Yip yipdw at member.fsf.org
Mon Apr 4 21:07:41 UTC 2011

Hi Vladimir,

I try to avoid debugging the generated state machine code, as I find
it too difficult to understand the machine at that level.

When writing a Ragel state machine, I write out sentences in the
language that I want it to recognize, turn those into executable test
cases, and then implement the state machine one test case at a time.
When I get stuck, I use Ragel's Graphviz output (-V), often targeting
a machine that I think is the culprit (-M) and use that to find subtle
errors.

That's worked out well for me, but admittedly the machines I've
written are quite simple: they don't step outside Ragel's basic model.

- David