[ragel-users] combining ragel and lemon

Mark Olesen Mark.Olesen at esi-group.com
Fri Aug 16 13:07:36 EDT 2019

I've use ragel in a few places already for parsing, but now I'm looking
to port over a medium sized chunk of flex/bison. Perhaps going for a
ragel/lemon combination.

According to the lemon docs (https://www.hwaci.com/sw/lemon/lemon.html)
the parser is the one calling the lexer. But this seems to be the same
as ragel would like to be doing: match a pattern, call an action.

The few examples of ragel/lemon that I've found (the classic calculator,
or a json parser) seem to be handling this by running ragel as the
scanner, and calling the lemon parser in its actions.

Some other examples I've seen use re2c for the lexing part. This appears
to fit better with what lemon expects, but there must be some way to lex
a single token and return from ragel I suspect.

I would be thankful for ideas.

Cheers,
/mark