[ragel-users] Why not prepend a prefix to variables used by ragel?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:12:33 UTC 2019

This can be easily solved but adding a command line option to enable such
prefixes and the date the prefixes will be enforced (say in 3 years). So
people can have time to migrate their ragel code. This kind of things has
been done all the time. I don’t think it should be an excuse not make the
variable name more readable. “access” can solve the readability problem,
but it also uses an extra structure which changes the meaning of the code.
I will check “variable” later.

BTW, how many uses of ragel anyway? It seems to have a far less user base
than flex. My impression is that people uses it because it can offer
something flex does not offer. However, flex can already solve a lot of
lexing problems. So there will be much less users use ragel than flex. This
can be shown by the numbers of questions on stack overflow and the numbers
of projects on github.

--
Regards,
Peng