[colm-users] colm-0.13.0.5 fails to build on Gentoo Prefix on 32bit OS on a VM

Sam Pfeiffer sammypfeiffer at gmail.com
Tue May 1 21:02:37 UTC 2018

Oh, docker is wonderful, specially for this kind of "reproduce my case"
scenarios.

If your machine is veeeeery old... this may not even work cause of missing
virtualization stuff on your CPU (I have a little server with that problem).

But, in any case, if you are using Ubuntu (16.04 I'd hope), you can follow
the official guide to install docker:
https://docs.docker.com/install/linux/docker-ce/ubuntu/#set-up-the-repository

Shortened is this:

sudo apt-get install -y apt-transport-https ca-certificates curl
software-properties-common
curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu/gpg | sudo apt-key add -
sudo add-apt-repository \
   "deb [arch=amd64] https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu \
   $(lsb_release -cs) \
   stable"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y docker-ce
sudo usermod -aG docker $USER

That's probably 100Mb?

I also installed virtualbox-5.2... I think it installs some kernel modules
that will be needed by the Docker I made. But I'm not sure. You can try
without.
In any case the installation instructions are here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Or shortened:

sudo su
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo
apt-key add -
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo
apt-key add -
echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib"
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
apt-get update
apt-get install -y --allow-unauthenticated dkms virtualbox-5.2
virtualbox-dkms

VBOX_VERSION=`dpkg -s virtualbox-5.2 | grep '^Version: ' | sed -e
's/Version: \([0-9\.]*\)\-.*/\1/'` ; \
    wget -q
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/${VBOX_VERSION}/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-${VBOX_VERSION}.vbox-extpack
; \
    VBoxManage extpack install
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-${VBOX_VERSION}.vbox-extpack
--accept-license=56be48f923303c8cababb0bb4c478284b688ed23f16d775d729b89a2e8e5f9eb;
\
    rm Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-${VBOX_VERSION}.vbox-extpack
apt-get install -y linux-headers-generic virtualbox-dkms
# Change the group of /dev/vbox* to vboxusers
chgrp vboxusers /dev/vbox*
# Change permissions
chmod g+rw /dev/vbox*

Probably another 100Mb there.

But the really big guy is when you do, from the README of the repo:
https://github.com/awesomebytes/colm_docker

docker pull awesomebytes/colm_environment:1

That's 5.1GB of an image. It contains a 4GB file which is some kind of
snapshotted VM with the problem.

Alternatively, I could provide you access via ssh to some machine with the
system already setup. If that would be more convenient for you, drop me a
mail privately. Note that I'm in Sydney, we may have quite a challenge on
timezones.