[ragel-users] Re: Machine not running terminating actions

Adrian Thurston thurs... at cs.queensu.ca
Wed Jan 3 15:18:14 UTC 2007

Matt Mower wrote:
> Zed prompted me to look at write eof, but I misread the guide and
> didn't realise you had to embed specific EOF actions. I guess using
> Ruby so much has lead me to expect magic everywhere ;-)

Ragel actually used to behave this way. The % operator would also embed
EOF actions. But I found this to be problematic in a few scenarios
because the EOF context is not the same as the regular action context
(the p pointer is not alway available). So I ended up splitting them.

> %eof, isn't that another action the same as %e1?  When I looked
> through the 5.16 guide about EOF actions it suggested I should use %/
> (maybe %eof is alternative syntax? I couldn't find it when I
> searched).

The %eof syntax is an alternate syntax for the %/ operator. It's new.
I'll add that to the guide ASAP.

Cheers,