[ragel-users] Re: Packaging ragel for Fedora Extras

Jeremy Hinegardner jer... at hinegardner.org
Thu Mar 29 16:11:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 07:19:22AM -0400, Gilles J. Seguin wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 02:08 -0400, Gilles J. Seguin wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 18:26 -0600, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm packaging up ragel for inclusion in Fedora Extras
> >
> > thanks a lot
> >
> > > and I came across a parallel make dependency bug.  It seems
> > > the dependency graph as it
> > > currently stands can start building some of the command line
> > > applications before the common and redfsm libraries are complete. The
> > > attached patch should fix it.
> >
> > interesting, problem was not showing up here, from log
> >
> > + make -j2
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/h1/rpmbuild/BUILD/ragel-5.19/ragel'
>
> this build is put on hold because prerequisite is not meet,
> that is common.a

Fedora Extras builds runs with make -j3 normally, and that is when it
turned up on my build box.  Hence the patch to reorder the dependencies
so common and redfsm are required for the other builds.

> > make[1]: Entering directory `/h1/rpmbuild/BUILD/ragel-5.19/common'
> > ar -cr common.a common.o
>
> now prerequisite is done
> starting parallel build
>
> that is, if common and redfsm are the directory in subdir macro
> the parallel build start sooner

[...]

> > a spec file was on previous release, should have release my spec earlier
> > but my spec file was not able to produce the debuginfo rpm package
> > though everything else was working fine
> > i got
> > + /usr/lib/rpm/find-debuginfo.sh /h1/rpmbuild/BUILD/ragel-5.19
> > finish stripping
> > 0 blocks
>
> i am in shock, option -s for install utility.
> I have wasted lot of time.

I have another patch in the Source RPM that removes that -s from the
install command.  I didn't think it would be necessary propogate that
upstream.

With that in place rpmbuild -ba will create a non-empty debug-info rpm.

> > that last line means that the cpio utility has empty source from the
> > stripping.
> > And more crazy if i run the script manually, it work !!
>
> do you have a patch to allow short-circuit for rpm install :-)
> sure it was working, I was by passing the install -s
> doing it manually

The patches I'm using are avaialble in the Fedora Extras source tree,
browse them here:

    http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/ragel/?root=extras

The source RPM is here:

    http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/SRPMS/ragel-5.19-4.fc6.src.rpm