[ragel-users] Newbie question: Scanners?

Adrian Thurston thurs... at cs.queensu.ca
Fri May 11 19:49:45 UTC 2007

Hi Andrew,

Scanners are suitable for processing streams of tokens. Generally this
is any input that can be broken down into a list of items taken from a
pool of possibilities.

You can also use a scanner for its backtracking features. They are
useful in cases where you want to attempt one pattern and should that
fail you would like to match some other pattern against a shorter string.

Regards,
 Adrian