6.1 and further changes to the language

Adrian Thurston thurs... at cs.queensu.ca
Thu Feb 14 17:37:54 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm planning a 6.1 release with further changes to the language that
will break backwards compatibility.

When scanners were first made there was no consideration to getting
leaving actions at the end of a scanner pattern to execute. Now it
stands out to me as an inconsistency that needs to be fixed.

I don't expect people to embed a leaving action right before the pattern
action is specified. You should still use the scanner action instead.
The problem is with machine definitions used at the end of a scanner
pattern that have leaving actions inside. These may do some cleanup or
other final processing at the end of a machine definition and should be
executed.