question about kleene-star

Manoj Rajagopalan ma... at nanorex.com
Sat Mar 29 20:18:05 UTC 2008

Hi all,

   According to the kleene-star documentation, it is an operator that
grants greater priority to transitions within the machine and hence aims
for the longest match. While I can see its utility in deciding between
pattern-alternates, how is it to be used on a single-string?

   To be more clear, suppose I want to match the longest string of
lower-case characters at least one character long. Should I use "lower
lower**" or "(lower+)**". In other words, is the ** a qualifier to an
existing expression or is it an operator by itself?

Thanks,
Manoj