[ragel-users] Re: Any suggestions on implementing SMTP protocol inRagel?

Erich Ocean er... at atlasocean.com
Wed May 14 14:22:02 UTC 2008

On May 13, 2008, at 11:09 PM, Zed A. Shaw wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:43:39 -0700
> Erich Ocean <er... at atlasocean.com> wrote:
>
>> Ross,
>>
>> Statecharts are trivial to code by hand, using case and switch
>> statements, and result in roughly the same amount of code as a
>> straight Ragel implementation would. In addition, the hand-coded
>> variants are more flexible, since you can implement the full "spec"
>> as
>> designed by Harel. You can also easily embed Ragel regex-style
>> machines in the various states as needed when you hand code, and
>> Adrian's code generation approach makes that particularly easy.
>
> It is easy to code simple ones, but hand-coded ones have the following
> limitations:
>
> 1) Nobody can read the mass of case/switch crap later on, not even the
> dude who wrote it initially.
> 2) Debugging them is a pain in the ass, usually involving tracing
> statements.
> 3) The compiler can't tell you if you have cycles, invalid
> transitions, and doesn't minimize your states.  Ragel does all that.
> 4) You can't generate dot graphs from your stuff.

I have not uncovered the limitations with hand-coding statecharts
described by Zed. My guess is that we learned different strategies for
implementing them. Here's who I learned from:

	Constructing the User Interface with Statecharts
	by Ian Horrocks, Addison-Wesley, 1999

	http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-User-Interface-Statecharts-Horrocks/dp/0201342782

The book is out of print, and a guy at work recently bought a used
copy for $100 (it originally sold for $40, I think). The book is
oriented towards writing the control layer in MVC software, but you
can use statecharts anywhere. I use them in all three layers, client,
server, and with databases. Basically, whenever the control logic
degenerates to testing boolean flags* and changing behavior as a
result, I immediately switch to statecharts because I know the
resulting code will:

1. accurately reflect the control code as designed by me
2. be easy to debug and _verify_ using "white box" techniques
3. be easily enhanced over the lifetime of the system**

* The first boolean flag in code is usually a harbinger of more
boolean flags to come. By switching to statecharts early, I can handle
enhanced logic later in-stride and without impacting my schedule/budget.

** Ragel is particularly ill-suited to implementing statecharts that
are modified over time, precisely _because_ it minimizes states. You
don't want states combined or minimized because it makes it very
difficult to extend and modify objects whose state is archived (e.g.
in a database, on disk, whatever). Zed might not have run into this
problem yet because he writes clients and servers in-sync, and they
start with "fresh state" at each startup. Long-running systems can't
rely on that behavior because they have persistent state.

There is a wide sense among programmers that state machines, including
statecharts, make code hard to understand. I have no idea why this is
the case, since my experience is the complete opposite.

As evidence, the first thing I do when working with a new library/API
is to document what the API does with statecharts, where the "events"
are function calls into the APIs (including pseudo-function calls if
the API exposes data-as-symbols). I then translate that statecharts to
code (in mock object fashion) and do "forwarding" calls to the real
API during development. This has had two major advantages:

1. I can quickly and easily understand how the underlying API "works"
from an external perspective, and _test those assumptions_ quickly and
easily.
2. By running my own code against the mock object(s) (I call the mock
objects constructed in this fashion "state guards"), I can be sure
that I'm using the API consistently and within specifications at all
times. An unhandled "event" (aka function call) in my state guard is
evidence that I did something out-of-order, such as calling library
code before calling the libraries "init" function.

I can't think of a higher complement to the understandability of
statecharts than that. I find most code horrendously hard to read,
regardless of how it was implemented. Statecharts remove all of that
for me, quickly and easily, and forever. With stateguards and the
graphical statechart diagrams, I can answer any question about the
behavior of the API years down the road in seconds. _No other approach
I've discovered can make that claim._

Zed makes good points based on his experience, and rather than try and
refute each of them based on mine, I'll just quote from the book
mentioned above. If the claims look good to you, I recommend tracking
down the book and giving it a whirl. I can personally vouch for all of
the benefits (as well as the limitations) given for statecharts.

Best, Erich

 From __Constructing the User Interface with Statecharts__ by Ian
Horrocks, Addison-Wesley, 1999:

Advantages of the statechart approach
=====================================

General
-------

- a low number of bugs
- a language independent notation
- complicated user interfaces can be developed with ease
- the speed of user interface development is not reduced
- the performance of the software is not affected
- statecharts are easier to understand than code alone

Design
------

- the designs are precise and consistent
- the designs are modular
- the designs are compact
- the designs are kept up-to-date
- the designs can be reused

Coding
------

- simple and consistent code
- no requirements work during the coding phase
- the code is easy to debug
- the code facilitates walk-throughs

Testing
-------

- unit testing is thorough
- regression testing is efficient and effective
- the unit test cases are compact

Maintenance
-----------

- faults can be traced easily
- changes are local in effect
- very big changes to a user interface are relatively easy to achieve
- it is easy to maintain unfamiliar software
- estimates are more accurate

Some possible limitations of the statechart approach

- translating a statechart to code is boring
- the code may not adhere to the design (if you modify the code
without updating the design)
- the code can be indecipherable to people not familiar with the
statechart notation
- the method will take a reasonable amount of time to learn
- developers, particularly weak developers, may resist the technique
because of its rigour