[ragel-users] Grammer containing union of many expressions

Nico Verwer nverwer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 16:19:14 UTC 2014

Hello Ragel users,

I have a grammar that Ragel cannot generate (Java) code for. It just stops
working without any (visible) error message.

My grammar contains more than 30,000 rules of the form
  nameX = "title 1" | "title 2" | ... ;
and then one rule which is the union of all of the 32,000 nameX:
  allOfThese = nameX | nameY | ... | nameZ ;

It is the last rule (allOfThese) that makes Ragel crash.

I am using Ragel on a windows (64-bit) machine, and the system logs only
tells me that the application crashed.

Would it help to compile Ragel on a unix machine (which I don't have access
to at the moment) or under MinGW? Or will it never work with such an
insanely large union?

Your insights are much appreciated.

Best regards,
Nico Verwer

(CAPTCHA on gmane says "short", which is not true of my grammar.)