[ragel-users] "scanner error"

Josh Haberman jhaberman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 15:47:33 UTC 2014

HI Adrian,

I wasn't meaning to suggest that my test case was valid Ragel input. I
sent the repro because the Ragel source contains this comment where
this error message is generated:

  /* Machine failed before finding a token. I'm not yet sure if this
   * is reachable. */
  scan_error() << "scanner error" << endl;
  exit(1);

Since you weren't sure whether this error is reachable, I thought it
would be useful to you to know that it is indeed reachable, and to
have a repro for how it can be reached.

Also, the error message "scanner error" isn't a very useful
diagnostic; I was hoping that a repro would make it easier to emit an
error message that helps the user know what they did wrong.

It also refers to a source location that doesn't actually exist
(test.rl:2:10) -- in my test input, line 2 only has 7 columns.

Hope this is helpful,
Josh