[ragel-users] Best practice: using ragel for bit-based state machines on microcontroller?

Adrian Thurston thurston at complang.org
Fri May 15 02:37:31 UTC 2009

I wish I had some tips for you. I have no experience using Ragel for
bit-based parsers. I know it's pretty easy to mask out high bits using
ranges

alphtype unsigned char;
foo = 0xfc .. 0xff;

But masking out low bit patterns is not pleasant because the values are
not contiguous.

Also, once you mask out some bits, you just move over the others in the
byte. I suppose you could use fhold strategically. Seems painful to me
though.

-Adrian