[ragel-users] Best practice: using ragel for bit-based state machines on microcontroller?

Adrian Thurston thurston at complang.org
Fri May 15 03:10:23 UTC 2009

Ah, you can process at the bit level. See attached code. You'll probably
want to scrutinize the generated and compiled code to see if it's good
enough for your needs. One thing to note about using the getchar
directive is that the expression can be evaluated more than once per
value of p and if the compiler doesn't optimize that duplicate work away
then your code won't be optimal.

By the way, I'm not sure if I just figured this out now, or if somebody
told me about this technique a while back and I forgot. (Bob maybe?)

-Adrian