[ragel-users] Breaking out of a scanner

Adrian Thurston thurston at complang.org
Sun May 9 16:13:04 UTC 2010

Matthieu Tourne wrote:
> But I run into other problems, for example if a tag is split across two
> different buffers, it won't be correctly identified.
> For instance if </body> is across two buffers, it'll go into tag_start
> on the '<', but when the next buffer comes in it will try to match 'dy>'
> as an email.

Sorry for the delay!

So this is something that you have to sort out yourself in Ragel. The
reasoning is that there are many different ways to deal with tokens when
they can cross buffer boundaries and rather than commit to a particular
one, ragel lets you choose. This approach lets Ragel be useful in a
restricted environments. Please see section 6.3 in the manual for more
info on the problem.